Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    The mountains of Switzerlans!

    May 27, 2015 in Switzerland ⋅ ☁️ 6 °C

    First we set from France for a 6 hour journy on our busabout tour bus to the amazing views and nature of Switserland. First stop, the small but very beautiful town named after a bear, Bern. Wow. Just wow. Such a beautiful town... you hear the sounds of bells ringing every 15 minutes (including at night) from the surrounding churches, to tell the time, or weddings or even funerals. Them town has a lovely aqua lake which streams throughout the city, and you are even allowed to drink and swim in it in Summer! However it was wayyy to cold! We didnt do much stuff which cost money..as the frank (currency of switzerland) was very expensive! So pre made pasta salad from the local supermarket was what we survived on! We did lots of walks around Bern, such as through a rose garden, the botanical gardens, and the 6km walk around the Lake! Unfortunetly the Bears which are located around the lake were not seen, as the town were recostructive their new home, which no longer is in a pitt. Very disapointed about the bears, but very hapoy we stopped in the small town! Next stop Lauterbrunnen.

    Lauterbrunnen...what can i say... how do i describe such an amazing town... well first of all, for those who have read the Lord of the Rings... this spectacular place was one of the writers inspiration to write. Tall mountains with snow on top, and you cant even see the top as clouds hide the peak. We arrived at 6pm that night, so we went to the local resaurant with our new Australian friend! Very expensive, however i was lucky enough to try rosti, a swiss potato dish for free, as they accidentlt gave me two meals!

    Lauterbrunnen is already 800 metres above sea level..and the well known swiss alps mountain 'jungfrajoch' is a 2.5 hour journy by train even further up from the mountain. On the first complete day we got the train uo the mountain, costing us 130 frank each which is almost $400 togeather! Very very expensive... but deffinetly worth it. Although it was a cloudy day...it was still amazing to see all the mountain..and well real snow, unlike Australia with their snow guns! We walked 3km up the mountain...with wearing almost nothing at all since we packed for summer weather (leggins and a big jacket for me). The air was so thin, it made you very tired, and weak! Just shows how much our boys rely on oxygen! We saw ice sculpters of bears and penguins, and even a big ice tunnel which you could practical slide on with your sneakers! Once we returned to Lauterbrunnen, Jason had a cat nap, while i decided to do some exercise... what a mistake it was..as i cramped while doing squats! Just shows i use my muscles enough on this holiday! For dinner we went to a pub and had soup, burgers and chips, with nice swiss cider to finish it off!

    The next morning it was raining, however this did not stop up! We visited the spectacular mountain waterfalls 'trummel bachfalle', which are water fall caves inside the mountain! I was soaked after this adventure, causing me to have to walk back with wet socks, and need to get changed, before doing a small day trip inti the city of interlaken! Interlaken has a beautiful long lake with mountains which surround it! We also got to have a nice burger at a local takeaway shop, and visit all the tourist shops! Switzerland are known for their watches and obsession to know the time! So there are watch shops every 20m! And not cheap... about 250 franks each...and still i see tourist by them!

    Tonight we cooked leftovers on the stove, and are going to an exclusive pub for only busabout and contiki members! We are leaving early in the morning at 8am, for next stop Munich, followed by a small town in Austria!

    Speak then xxx
    Read more