Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 77–79

    Siem Reap, Cambodia

    March 19 in Cambodia ⋅ ☁️ 97 °F

    Greeted by local students performing traditional Khmer dance and music, we arrive late to our hotel in the charming village of Siem Reap. Early the next day we travel one hour to Beng Mealea, a temple visited by few tourists and inaccessible until recently. We returned for a delicious traditional Cambodian lunch and to recharge aching muscles after exploring in 97 degree with high humidity.

    At 3:00 we venture out by Tuk Tuk, which we now believe is the only way to arrive to a 12th century temple. After three hours of exploring, it was time for another meal and night on the town. Our guides from earlier in the day invited us and our Holland Shore Excursion escorts to check out their favorite spots on Pub Street. We were surprised to find a packed, bustling cosmopolitan scene of shops, restaurants, and clubs lit up like Tokyo. We appreciated the $2.50 gin and tonics!

    The next morning, breakfast comes early before beginning the hour-long trek to the region’s new airport. While it is beautiful and modern, the distance is far from ideal. Fortunately we were able to get into the lounge while we waited for our delayed flight to carry us to Ho Chi Minh City.
    Read more