Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Tour - Lac Rose (Pink Lake)

    March 22, 2019 in Senegal ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    We stopped over at a local restaurant just before the lake to eat a delicious local meal called Thiebou Djeune (CFA 2,000). Jollof rice looking, with fish and all sort of vegetables and fruits sliced and diced. It was delicious but didn't taste like Jollof rice.

    After the sumptuous meal we drove to the lake. My first dissapointment was that the lake wasn't PINK although you could see some shades of dark pinkish color on the banks of the lake. All over the banks were huge mounds of salt dug up from the lake bed and put to dry in the sun.

    Ladies selling souvenirs were all over the place harrasing visitors to buy. I told them no and they played a well rehearsed trick on me by asking to take pictures with them and later offering me free souvenirs after which they asked for a tip! I gave them CFA 500 and they complained?

    Lots of traffic on the way back to Dakar and the hotel, aparently the Pink lake is in another region (state) of the country. Got back at 8pm and it was still bright outside apparently they are experiencing long days and short nights here like europe.
    Read more