Satellite
  • Day 9

    Exploring Nairobi & Carnivore Dinner

    September 23, 2018 in Kenya ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Had a nice breakfast in the Hotel to start the day with. Called up my trusted navigator, google maps and commanded it to plot a path to Nairobi Railway Musuem for me. Destination acquired to arrive in 27mins on foot, so I set out immediately wearing my travel jacket as Nairobi is very chilly, was 18 degrees previous day.

    The walk took me through the CBD business area as my hotel Best Western Meridien Plus is located in downtown Nairobi. Nairobi was surprisingly full of pedestrians on a Sunday. Saw quite a number of phone shops and restaurants open. Came across the 7th August memorial built in the memory of those who died in the twin attack against US Embassies in Nairobi and Dar-es-salaam by Arab militants sponsored by Osama Bin Laden. It is made up of a small garden and an equally small museum. A documentary of the attack was shown in the museum, with artifacts of victims along with pictures and newspaper articles on the attack. Spent less than 30mins before continuing on my walk to the railway museum.

    Railway museum had a collection of old colonial railway artifacts, along with pictures and history of how the railway line was built starting from Mombasa all the way to Kampala in Uganda. Several locomotive engines and coaches were also on display in the adjacent railway yard. I spent roughly an hour in the museum before calling an Uber to take me to the largest and very modern Two River mall. Trip down to the mall passed through the exclusive estate where the embassies are located as well as the very rich in Nairobi.

    Two Rivers Mall is a massive structure with lots of parking space, water park and store spaces, half of which are yet to be occupied. Had burger for launch, changed $100, bought some chocolates and generally looked round the mall before returning back to the hotel to get ready for dinner.

    Dinner was at the world famous Carnivore restaurant where I ate different types of exotic meat. As long as my flag was up the chefs kept coming with different meat and cutting them into my plate. It was a delicious meal.
    Read more