Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Walking tour of Stone Town, Zanzibar

    February 6, 2018 in Tanzania ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Had early breakfast at 8:00 am in preparation for the walking city tour. My guide Eddy was already waiting downstairs when I came down at 9:00 am as planned. We walked through the old city first to get an Airtel sim card. It took over 30 mins to register and activate the sim card, thereafter the tour started with a visit to the oldest market in Zanzibar which is divided into three sections. We visited the fish section where I saw Octopus, squids, snapper, ray fish and other exotic fish. From the market we proceeded to the slave museum. The compound also houses the 1st Anglican church in Zanzibar which was built in 1874. Saw the sad dungeons where slaves were kept prior to being auction and transported across the sea. We then visited the African House, the old fort which is being prepared for a musical concert starting on the 8th, walked past the House of Wonder, which was the Sultan’s office and the first building with electricity, lift, telephone etc. and finally passed in front of the Palace Museum and then back to the hotel. The entire tour took roughly 3 hrs 30 mins. The entire tour cost TZS 60,000.

    Later in the afternoon I walked down the beach to the floating Restaurant to have lunch on the pier overlooking the ocean. The meal was surprisingly nice and was Beef Pilau with rice. Came back to the room about 3:00 pm and slept till 7:00 pm.

    Dinner was at the famous street market and comprised of BBQ meat & sea food, with fried plantain and chips. The sea food tasted spoilt so I spat it out so as not to purge.
    Read more