Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Day 11 - To Dingle

    October 13, 2017 in Ireland ⋅ 🌬 16 °C

    We left Portmagee today and it was raining and very windy. Shite weather again. We went down to the Skellig Chocholate factory. Nice chocholate.Because we couldn't go out to the Skellig islands (we couldn't even see it from the main land as it was so rainy) we stopped in at the Skellig musem to see what it was all about. This was very interesting. The monks started on the island 600 ad and stayed ther for some 1200 years. Over this time they built a monistary and 3 lots of giant steps leading to the monistary. They abandoned the island and it is unsure why. In the late 1800s there was a light house built on the island and it was fueled by peat. A family lived on the island to run it but by the early 1900s the lighthouse became automated. A plane in WW1 clpped the top of the island and crashed into the see loosing all life on board the plane.
    We had a look at the peat bogs.
    We spent most of the day in the bus today as the weather was so bad. We came to dingle and checked into the Dingle Hotel for the next two nights. The afternoon was spent learing folk dancing which was really fun before heading out to dinner. The rain had stopped and the wind died down by 10pm.
    Read more