Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Day 3

    March 13, 2023 in Vietnam

    We both had a mediocre sleep last night due to a combination of slight jet lag and a storm last night. The jet lag also meant we woke slightly early, both of us still being on Australian time. Ted was more enthusiastic than me, going to the hotel gym whilst I stayed in the room and relaxed. The breakfast at the hotel was amazing though, many choices in a beautiful dining room.

    Ted used the app Grab (similar to Uber) to get us a ride to the airport for our next flight this morning. The airport was crazy busy (like Bangkok city itself), but we arrived in time just before the check in counters were open. The check in process was pretty easy and we even considered upgrading ourselves to business class, having enjoyed it immensely on Philippine Airlines. The extra cost didn’t seem worn it for a two hour flight though.

    After going through security and immigration, we each went to get a sandwich from Zurich Bread, as we were unsure if the flight included a meal. Clearly we weren’t the only ones who thought that way, as a lot of other Westerners were sitting in the boarding lounge eating similar foods. As it turned out, we were pleasantly surprised to get not only a meal, but a hot one as well (chicken or fish, so I chose the latter). The rest of the flight was pleasant enough too, although the FAs struggled with saying their announcements in English. Since the flight was so quick, I didn’t hassle the crew for a photo this time!

    When we arrived in Hanoi, we were both surprised to see how low key the airport was from the tarmac. It reminded me of arriving into Beijing in the 1990s. One interesting thing was how the arrival PA advised passengers not to open the exits themselves! We disembarked via the tarmac and took buses to the terminal instead of using aerobridges.

    Both the immigration process and baggage collection were quick, although I found it odd how the lady at passport control didn’t ask to see my visa which I’d printed out. Once outside, we went to the pick up area and waited for our transfer driver. After ten minutes of waiting, I called the hotel who advised us they would contact the driver. Another driver advised us to wait, before our driver arrived in a very fancy car for the 45 minute drive to the hotel.

    Our accommodation is very close to the Old Quarter district, which is basically the heart of Hanoi. The hotel is very fancy, and the check in process seemed very formal and sophisticated (we felt somewhat embarrassed wearing just shorts and T-shirts)! I had mentioned in the booking that Ted had celebrated a birthday recently, and our beds were decorated with rose petals spelling out “HPBD”!

    We had a quick look at the hotel gym and rooftop bar before going out to explore. The area is very busy, although more low-key than Ho Chi Minh City. I noticed that Train Street was very close to the hotel and was hoping to see it, but was surprised how security guards prevented anyone from entering. I read later that this is now a restricted area and guests can only enter when escorted by a business owner (taking away the option of choosing where to sit and eat).

    Whilst walking back through the city, I made the mistake of accepting a donut from a street side seller (thinking it was a free sample) before realising she had quickly filled a plastic bag of them which she expected me to buy (which I politely declined). We saw an ad for a hop-on hop-off bus service so we thought we might try that tomorrow.

    After spending some time in the Old Quarter, Ted was keen to try some pho, so we walked around for a while before finding a restaurant that served it. It was very well priced, and they offered plenty of options for both the meat-eater and vegetarian alike.

    We considered a late night but are both exhausted from the flight and long day today. A full day of sightseeing tomorrow!
    Read more