Satellit
Vis på kort
  • Dag 1

    Day 3 Total London Experience

    24. juni 2023, Forenede Stater ⋅ ☀️ 99 °F

    Our only full day in London began early. We had scoped out the tour meetup location the previous afternoon. We walked to Westminster Station and traveled the train two stops to Victoria Station. When we exited the underground we discovered we were in a totally different exit and did not know which way to go! It took us a bit to figure out which direction to take but finally we arrived at the location we had scouted out the day before only to be directed to yet another location. Finally we were with the group for the tour.
    First stop Buckingham Palace. The King was not in. He was at the Ascot Horse Races. The famous balcony was in sight and there were a couple red-coated guards as well as horses being moved to another location.
    Second stop St. Paul's Cathedral. This place does impress! Lots of beautiful designs, high cathedral ceilings, glittering gold, and those little lamps I've seen on TV in the pews of the honored guests. The crypt is the lower level with, you guessed it, tombs. Also, a museum, a chapel, and of course the Gift Shop.
    Third stop London Eye for a ride. I had been waiting for this ride and enjoyed it thoroughly. They put twenty or so people into one car which is mostly clear and send it up like a ferris wheel. Nice 360 views of the Thames and the City of London.
    Fourth stop Ferry Ride on the Thames. This boat was to take us downstream. There was a snafu, to put it politely, which left us standing on the ramp for an hour and a half! Finally, we were boarded and taken to the Tower of London. Here was our Fifth and final stop of this tour. We were able to get a long-past-due quick lunch before entering the Tower area. It's really a fortress built in the 11th century and since expanded and re-purposed. An exhibit of the Crown Jewels (no photos allowed), an armory of armor and weapons with an exhibit of King Henry VIII's horse and armor, and the Bloody Tower. Unfortunately, due to the long wait at the boat dock by the time Alicia and I got to the Bloody Tower they had closed so we didn't get to see the place where Anne Boleyn and others were executed.
    The day was a hot one for London. We enjoyed having longer daylight hours. Found a famous red telephone booth with a working phone. Just use a card to make a call. I got proficient at using my phone's wallet with the cashless systems to pay for everything including train rides and toilets.
    Læs mere