Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 45–48

    19-21 Thursday to Sunday Portamao

    October 19, 2023 in Portugal ⋅ 🌧 22 °C

    No sailing, steady 28 knots gusting over 40, with regular rain squalls.

    Margy started the day with a long massage, a service supplied by our accommodation. A guesthouse, yoga, Pilates and wellbeing centre. We are very pleased we are staying here they are wonderful hosts. We are also close to the old town of Portamao and away from the touristy beach suburbs.

    I walked to the touristy Praia da Rocha, Margy joined me later. We really enjoyed a walk around looking at the dramatic sea mounts in the approaching gale. Luckily the rain waited till lunchtime. We enjoyed a beaut lunch running into Bob Schahinger. Fish soup, and swordfish and very good house wines.

    A little drama when we returned to our hostel, which was recovered by the delightful Rachel. Again we loved our hosts.

    21/10 Finals and Presentation
    Wonderful presentation and closing ceremony. A great end to an excellent regatta. It was very well run both on and off the water. The Portuguese are very welcoming, well organised and a lot of fun. Louis the race director did a fantastic job, always approachable, solving issues large and small, with a smile, a true gentleman.

    A relaxed dinner in the Sweet and Salt cafe, across the road, fresh, simple food, most enjoyable. Tomorrow we collect a rental car and head to Loulé then Faro airport to fly home.

    Photos on a separate footprint.
    Read more