Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 45–48

    Portimao

    October 19, 2023 in Portugal ⋅ 🌧 22 °C

    No sailing, steady 28 knots gusting over 40, with rain squalls.

    Margy started the day with a long massage, a service supplied by our accommodation. A guesthouse, yoga, Pilates and wellbeing centre. We are very pleased we are staying here they are wonderful hosts. We are also close to Portamao and away from the touristy beach suburbs.

    I walked to the Praia da Rocha, Margy joined me later. We really enjoyed a walk around looking at the dramatic sea mounts in the approaching gale. Luckily the rain waited till lunchtime. We enjoyed a beaut lunch running into Bob Schahinger. Fish soup, and swordfish and a very good house wines.

    A little drama when we returned to our hostel, which was recovered by the delightful Rachel. Again we loved our hosts.

    21/10 Finals and Presentation
    Wonderful presentation and closing ceremony. A wonderful end to an excellent regatta. It was very well run both on and off the water. The Portuguese are very welcoming, well organised and a lot of fun. Louis the race director did a fantastic job, always approachable, solving issues large and small, with a smile, a true gentleman.

    A relaxed dinner in the Sweet and Salt cafe, across the road, fresh, simple food, most enjoyable. Tomorrow we collect a rental car and head to Loulé then Faro airport to fly home.
    Read more