Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    In and around Lampang

    December 2, 2022 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    Lampang was our destination for today. Before we reached the city, we called in to Wat Prathat Lampang Luang, a magnificent Lanna style temple dating from 13th century and a place of pilgrimage. The temple complex is amazing with its intricately decorated buildings mainly intact. The traditional horse carriages were ferrying people in from the city nonstop and the atmosphere was very festive.

    We checked into our simple room at the back of a back street, where Kanecha explained where we could eat and what there was to do in town.

    Our walk along the River Wank took us to the Clock Tower and from there we fell upon two lovely temples and the city pillar shrine. Here we noticed an elderly man, evidently a dance teacher, coaching a group of ladies, who, unknown to us, were about to perform a dance in the square. We showed interest and in no time the delightful man had me leading the dance troupe onto the "stage". A bit of fun and a great way to communicate!

    Later we found the much praised Aroi One Baht restaurant where we had 3 large Chang beers ( we were pretty dehydrated by then!) and stirfried vegetables, pork and veg and cashews in peanut sauce and rice for about 9.50 EUR.

    We are now relaxing on a wooden terrace on the River Wank, thoroughly satisfied with our wonderful day.
    Read more