Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Chiang Rai and Two Legends

    December 7, 2022 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Before leaving Tamarind Village, we ran into Marini and Amal and Marini was eager for us to have a photo taken together so she could show her Mum. We were naturally flattered and eager to comply!

    It took us over 3 hours to reach Chiang Rai . It was relatively cool and we were instantly pleased with our The Legend boutique hotel, even though it had grown a tiny bit shabby with its years.

    Within minutes we were on our way to Wat Rong Suea Ten, otherwise known as the Blue Temple, situated across the river. The name means " temple of the dancing tiger " and legend has it that on this spot years ago there was a temple over which tigers were free to roam.

    The temple was completed in 2016 by a student of the architect of the famous eccentric White Temple situated about 15 km south of the city. The sapphire colouring makes for a lavish-looking temple complex in which glass balls, some of them with hagar holographs in them, play a major role. We loved it.

    We felt it was too early to return to the hotel , so we parked in town to make a short visit in the already failing light to the King Meng Rai monument. King Meng Rai was the founder not only of this city but also of the Lanna kingdom in the thirteenth century. I also bought some children's books for practising the writing of the Thai alphabet, my New Years resolution being to master it!

    And here we are at happy hour with a Mai Thai in our hands awaiting dinner.
    Read more