Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Lotus ponds and Khmer chedis

    December 14, 2022 in Thailand ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Before we left our dream resort in Phitsanulok, I just had to photograph the beautiful lotus flowers and water lilies in the morning sun.

    The journey to Ayutthaya was almost four hours long, but we had slept so well and both felt totally refreshed. The highway views were also refreshing, especially on the rice plains, which were an ever-changing kaleidoscope of rice fields in various stages of cultivation and rural activity.

    It was cooler and less humid in Ayutthaya than two weeks earlier, so we decided to forego the prospect of extremely reasonable massages and visit the historical park, which we have visited several times before, instead. The light was perfect and the climate too. I think our pictures speak for themselves .

    In the second phase of the park, near the elephant kraal, Willi discovered several amazing birds: first an elusive kingfisher, then a colourful Indian roller, followed by a couple of hoopoes in breeding modus and finally a crane,which we have never seen before. Elated, we returned to Baan Thai for two (!) gin and tonics and dinner.
    Read more