Satellite
  • Day 3

    Verona Vacillations

    August 30, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    Travel day - or is it?

    Panniers are packed and I get to Milano Centrale for the first train to Verona. I know I have this covered with tickets for both me and the bike. Getting the bike up onto the train was trickier with my sore arm not being able to take any weight but managed it in the end. I hadn’t anticipated how crowded each carriage was, so to find a seat required squeezing past multiple people whilst carrying the panniers.

    To fill in the time before the next train I thought I’d take a ride around and find somewhere for lunch but that didn’t work out - I didn’t want to stray too far from the station and there wasn’t much on offer so station cafe it was.

    I got to the platform with plenty of time to plead my case about getting the bike on - but not a single official looking person in sight or checking tickets. The train pulls in and I’m looking for the carriages with bicycle signs - and I’m still nervous about winging it and can’t even see a bike spot and I’m still standing on the platform. What to do... what to do.... finally with about 2 minutes before departure goes I see a conductor so I rush up and explain my predicament. So I must have done something right as whilst he agrees all the spots are booked he is opening up the bike area, lifting my bike up, tells me he’ll get it down for me in Rosenheim and then directs me to my seat (and I don’t even pay for a bike ticket)!

    Happiness Factor: Creeping back to normal.
    Read more