Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 77

    69. Peru - Machu Picchu

    November 7, 2019 in Peru ⋅ ⛅ 52 °F

    As you may know, Machu Picchu is an Incan citadel built in the 15th century in the Andes mountains of Peru. It is located on a mountain ridge almost 8000 feet high, and is an iconic representation of the Incan people.

    Although it was built in 1450, it remained unknown to most of the world until discovered in 1911. It is now an UNESCO World Heritage site and was voted one of the New Seven Wonders of the World in 2007. It accommodates about 1.5 million visitors each year.

    The city was built for the ruling leaders of the Incan people. The work was done by farmers, who, since they had no money, paid their taxes via 2-3 months of govt labor each year.

    Our 3 hour tour started an hour late, which turned out to be fortuitous as the morning's pouring rain reduced to a drizzle and then just mist as we proceeded through the tour.

    MP is really cool. While I confess to lacking the anthropological zeal that Craig has for the ruins, I was awestruck by the engineering feat accomplished at this altitude, as well as the stunning beauty of a city nestled in the misty mountain setting. I give it a "yes" vote for your bucket list.
    Read more