Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 54

    43. Uganda: Gorilla Trek

    June 30, 2023 in Uganda ⋅ ☁️ 70 °F

    The largest group of endangered Mountain Gorillas roam the jungle of Bwindi Impenetrable National Park in Uganda.

    We arrived at the park and were welcomed to the Gorilla trek by the local "gorilla cheerleading squad" prior to an introduction by a Ugandan wildlife official.

    We hiked about 2.5 miles before trackers alerted us to the presence of a nearby Gorilla troop. After descending a rather steep vine, root, and tree limb jungle for about 50 yards, we came within the mandated viewing range of "no closer than about 15 feet". The troop of about 20 members was led by a "Silverback" (mature male with greying back hair). Within our one hour viewing time limit, we observed the Silverback, mothers, and juveniles interact with one another. The 2-3 year olds were quite entertaining as they climbed on and wrestled around their 450 lb. Dad!

    Here are some interesting tid-bits about the Mountain Gorilla. Males can weigh nearly 500 lbs. and consume over 40 lbs of food per day. They scrupulously avoid bodies of water, really dislike rain, are afraid of chameleons and caterpillars, and have distinct "nose prints". Females generally enter into a long term relationship with the dominant Silverback of their troop and will fight to the death to protect their offspring from predators. The dominant Silverback is the troop leader and will protect the troop members at all cost. Mountain Gorillas are non-territorial. Though they have been classed as endangered, their numbers have been increasing through conservation efforts.
    Read more