Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Climbing the wall on Route 41

    July 25, 2023 in England ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    Ever taken Route 41 out of Bristol? Part of the National Cycle Network in Britain's 'cycling city'! At least it was. We were a little surprised to find a gate blocking it but squeezed past in a slightly huffy but determined way. Half a mile later we got to the bridge over the M5 to find a collection of large concrete Lego blocks. Even more determined, we surveyed the obstruction and got out our block and tackle (always have one just in case - it must be a hang-over from my Royal Navy days) to lift the bikes over. Actually managed to squeeze all but the handlebars through the gap but still had to lift them up and over. No diversion signed, no notice of closure. Nothing, until we reached the far end by the police compound where a 'No children, wear hard hats' sig was on the fence. Still mystified but it did save about 10 miles.

    Saw Britain's largest community-owned wind turbine in Lawrence Weston and then found the River Severn which we followed most of the rest of the day. Chatted to Karla from Hungary who is a van dweller living on Exmoor. Lovely chat about the joy of meeting strangers.

    Found more free plums! Much needed rest day by the Sharpness Canal tomorrow after 300 miles this week.
    Read more