Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 34

    The most beautiful road in Scotland

    August 17, 2023 in Scotland ⋅ 🌬 16 °C

    You take the road from Lairg to Altnahara and then turn right to Bettyhill. The first 19 miles with no turns off, over the Flow Country; the next 22 miles alongside the Loch and River Naver. It's gentle, with wide panoramas, huge hills, magical heather and sudden reveals of new vistas. At the end the hills suddenly give way to the sea with the river flowing out through a golden beach into the sea. Perfection in a day's ride.

    Crask Inn gets an honourable mention. Owned by the Scottish Episcopalean Church it has long welcomed End to Enders.

    Passed a Clearance Village at Rosal. Just a clearing in the forest now. Cleared during the Highland Clearances. 15000 Gaelic speakers cleared from the valley in just 10 years. The Countess of Surherland built Bettyhill to house some of those evicted but most were forced out of the Highlands to make way for sheep.

    The views from Bettyhill are just stunning and where the river runs into the sea it turns a beautiful orange from the peat.

    Met Jan from Germany who donated a tenner to Manda's good cause. Nice chap and a good chat.
    Read more