Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Trowunna Wildlife Sanctuary

    February 26, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    After a leisurely lunch, we headed further on to Trowunna Wildlife Sanctuary. It is yet another wildlife sanctuary participating in the breeding and protection of the endangered Tasmanian Devil, among other wildlife. They also participate in breeding Quolls and give exhibit habitats and homes for Wombats, Betongs, Echidnas and rare bird species predominately unique to Tasmania.
    A ranger gave a talk and brought out a Spotted Tail Quoll and a Tasmanian Devil for a close up and personal talk, as well and giving a talk about their resident wombat. After the talk he fed a group of Devils and had a bit of Q and A about their eating habits. It was very interesting and, despite the noises they make when exchanging insults with other devils, quite cute.
    We were also free to roam the park and feed the other animals that are allowed to roam free there including ducks, geese, swans and kangaroos. It really did remind me of Raywinkles Animal Farm that used to be on the road the Bungendore and mush have closed in the late 1980s or early 1990s.
    Like so many of these farms, they are not funded by the government but by tourism to keep their programs going and keep the species they support in good health.
    Read more