Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Launceston Kayak Tours

    February 27, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    This morning I was up at 6am to make my booking for a 7am Kayak tour on the River Tamar. I was the only person he had booked for the morning, so it was a great opportunity to get some one on one with the guide, asking questions and getting a bit of history.
    We launched from the pontoon where the boat Launceston Kayak Tours is located and headed down North Esk River to the River Tamar and headed north along the River before turning back and heading passed the privately morred boats. The guide mentioned that during the last significant flood event, 2 of the boats moored sunk, the wrecks still visible and littering the river; one of them was due to the mooring line being too short and as it reached the end of its line, it just got pulled under. We then continued down to the mouth of Cataract Gorge and down the South Esk River as far as we could go before reaching the bottom end of the rapids there, turned and headed back to the North Esk, where we continued along as far as York Park, and turned back to finish off. Overall it was about 7.5km covered, but in Hobie Kayaks, it was not a hard run. We were very lucky with the weather and we started to get a sprinkle of rain just as we were pulling back up at the pontoon... and then the rain continued...
    Read more