Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Low Head Penguin Tour

    February 28, 2022 in Australia ⋅ 🌧 20 °C

    We arrived at Low Head Tourist Park about 4.30 and got settled into our accommodation for the night. We went via the Batman Bridge, which was built in the 1960s to make it easier to get across the River Tamar than having to go all the way back to Launceston or to rely on a ferry service. It was an interesting bridge.
    After we got settled we had some dinner then got ready and went to the night time Low Head Penguin Tour. Here we heard a lot about the Ferry Penguins who have nests in and round the dunes in Low Head. They are incredible creatures of habit who follow the exact same routines every night, the same paths or tracks, the same practices of going out to get food during the day, back during darkness, following the same predictable patterns of behaviour, so much so that the guides are able to tell when things are going to happen, in what order and such.
    The tour ended just as it was starting to rain and it ended up being such a late night for Millie that she was asleep before we had even left the carpark, which is really saying something for her.
    When we did get back to the cabin the skies opened up.
    Read more