Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Day 12 - Vancouver to Whistler

    September 27, 2023 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 11 °C

    Early start to get on the road out of Vancouver. Picked up our hire car and drove out of the city until we reached Stanley Park, where we swapped seats because Mark knew Lion's Gate suspension bridge was looming ahead and his irrational fear of bridges was kicking in 🌉. Didn't help that we'd been looking at the bridge for the last couple of days and cycled under it, so he knew exactly what was coming 🤢. So weird!!! He gripped the seat and sat with his eyes tight shut while I drove over it 😱.

    We stopped off en route to Whistler at Shannon Falls, which were amazing, then walked through the woods to the Sea to Sky Gondola. Another thing not really on Mark's bucket list (cable car) but not a problem, he was fine. Good job really as it cost $150 for the two of us - daylight robbery 😳. The views on the way up and at the top were stunning so it was worth it. We had a coffee in the cafe and then walked a couple of the trails. Yet another suspension bridge to negotiate (this time a footbridge) but there was no way Mark was going over that one so I went across and he took the path round and met me at the other side. Really enjoyed the afternoon and I'm pleased that my knees are coping well with all the walking we're doing.

    Carried on to Whistler and arrived at the hotel (Summit Lodge Boutique Hotel) about 5.00pm. Whistler looks like a cute town, very "ski resort" vibe with alpine-type buildings. The hotels over here are different to the UK (at least the ones we're staying at) in that they don't have much in the way of restaurants and bars but the rooms have kitchen and sitting areas. It's quite nice if you don't feel like going out. We were tired after all the walking and not really eating anything except a slice of cake all day (not recommended 🤔) so we nipped to the shop and bought wine (obviously the most essential thing), ordered a pizza delivery and watched TV (Friends and a couple of other sitcoms....with crap adverts every few minutes).

    Bed was very welcome 😴💤
    Read more