Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    The End of the World

    March 13 in Argentina ⋅ ☁️ 10 °C

    Arrived in Ushuaia, the southernmost city in the world and the southernmost point of our trip. A compact little place on the shore of the Beagle Channel surrounded by serious,rugged mountains. There is still a fair bit of snow around.

    Got up early-ish and managed to see two of the glaciers that come down off the Darwin Range. That was a bucket list item for me. There are six glaciers in all but we passed the first four in the dark.

    The landscape is bonkers. Huge, snowcapped mountains with great lumps of snow and ice hanging off them. They are often jagged and broken in the most amazing way.

    Did a walk around town. Interesting but did not take many pictures. Still have our afternoon excursion to do, a trip on a narrow gauge railway through I hope some of the dense Patagonian forest. Stay tuned!

    Well did the train. Angela got a better picture than anything I did plus I got nothing much on the phone. The forest reminds me of the beech forest in Tasmania.

    Off tonight to Puerto Montt via the maze of channels through all the islands. Calling by a glacier on the way. It will take a couple of days. I don't mind. The scenery is stunning.
    Read more