Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Puerto Montt- we split up

    March 17 in Chile ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    Today we spilt up with Angela off to see volcanoes and rapids etc and me off to do a bucket list item of fly fishing in Chile.

    Have not seen the main bit of the town as we were both off on our tours fairly early.

    Fishing Report
    Only 6 people on this tour which was drift fishing the Maullin River. This is a style of fishing I have not done before. The trip to our start point was only about 30 minutes.

    Did some gear and technique coaching before we set off. I thought I would be the chump when it came to fly casting but there were at least two people worse than me. Anyway long story short it's a beautiful small and fast flowing river. We set off on our pontoon boats, 2 people per boat. Took a while to get the hang of the technique but I missed one medium large brown trout, hooked and lost three small trout and hooked and landed two brown trout, one small and the other one medium small. Very satisfied with that result. I will leave the 20kg Salmon to someone more deserving. Got rained on, cold, drank some Chilean red wine, caught fish. Who could ask for more?

    Not many photos. Too busy fishing! Expensive but good value. Had about 4 and a bit hours of fishing.

    Volcano was clouded in and waterfalls not much to write home about. Lunch was wonderful. Scenery fantastic.
    Read more