Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Despacio

    September 22, 2023 in France ⋅ ⛅ 48 °F

    Today we walked into Zubiri, a little Basque town on the Agra River. The walk was easy today compared to walking over the Pyrenees! Some gentle ups and downs but the big feature was the final 3 km into Zubiri. It was a steady downhill on a trail the was on some of the weirder rock formations I’ll ever walk on. You just have to see the pictures! The geology nerd in me was excited! But the hiker in me was less enthused. We walked through our first forest with pines today, too. Up until now all the forests have been some type of deciduous tree that is beautiful and leaves a thick Rudy brown colored blanket of fallen leaves all over the forest floor.

    We’re trying to figure out Spanish food. Our breakfasts have been hearty and tasty, and we kind of nibble on the trail and occasionally stop for coffee, a muffin, a piece of tortilla (like a potato fritata), or a soda. Basically not a lot of fuel on the walk. But then a night when we try o get some food it’s kind of hit or miss. They eat dinner late (like 9:00) here, and finding a somewhere that serves an actual dinner is not an easy feat. Here in Zubiri there’s a bar that closes early, a bakery that serves tortillas and beer, and one restaurant with a pilgrims menu. So we went there and the food was good, but eating at 9 is a little different. Anyway, I’ll keep you posted if we learn more about eating. It’s important to keep David fueled up since he burns trough a lot of calories a evidenced b his slender build.

    David is doing great now that he’s adjusted to our daily routine!

    Tomorrow we will walk to Pamplona. It’ll be chilly in the morning but will get up to the mid-70’s by midday.
    Read more