Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    The Lamb of God

    April 9, 2023 in Belgium ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    After hugs goodbye, Doug and I entered the Cathedral for our Altarpiece tour in the crypt. We were fitted with goggles for an AV section of the tour and were suddenly transported into medieval times, watching the Cathedral being built and the people going about their lives. We followed florescent arrows directing us to each new AV station while the "monk" narrated our tour. We learned so much in a very entertaining way.
    At the end, the monk explained the different parts of the Lamb of God altarpiece and the significance of each. After handing in our headsets, we headed upstairs to the church altar, the cloisters, the art and the actual Altarpiece art that we came to see. It was beautiful! We walked closer to it to take some photos and then we sat down to just sit in its presence and absorb. My eyes didn't know where to look as there was so much detail in the painting.
    After buying a small version of the Altarpiece, and our obligatory fridge magnet, we walked back to our bus and returned to our shop. This visit meant a lot as seeing this piece of art was on Doug's bucket list.
    Vivre le Lamb of God!
    Read more