Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Tulips, tulips and tulips!!

    April 12, 2023 in the Netherlands

    In order to have a great experience at the Keukenhof Gardens, we left our ship at 7:00 am. This meant we got to the gardens before the general public opening so the gardens were quiet and it was easier to get good photos. By the time we left the park, the immense parking lot was packed and we had noticed a significant increase in the number of people wandering through the tulips.
    We spent 4 hours walking through the different gardens that were full of tulips, hyacinths, daffodils, crocuses and even orchids. There was every colour imaginable, varying heights and sizes, and the garden designs were intricate.
    The foundation plants 7,000 tulip bulbs every year and they ship tulip bulbs all over the world. They're only open to the public for 2 months each year while the tulips bloom which explains the crowds. They also plant the tulips in 3 different depths so they stagger their blooms and can last for the 2 months. I could have spent far longer at this amazing botanical site, but Doug played out so we returned to our ship.
    This is a Spring Tulip cruise and now it has lived up to it's name.
    Read more