Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Sainte Chapelle

    April 15, 2023 in France ⋅ ☁️ 10 °C

    In early December 2022, I visited Sainte Chapelle after completing my Camino de Santiago de Compostela in Spain. Now I got to bring my Douglas to this beautiful church that was originally used only by the Royal family. Sainte Chapelle used to house the religious relics brought back from the Crusades, such as the Crown of thorns.
    This church is no longer used for religious services, but it is famous for its tall stained glass windows.
    The lower level of the building has arched ceilings decorated in blue with tiny fleurs de lis scattered across them like stars. The ceilings are supported by decorated columns in shades of blue and red. Again the columns are decorated with the fleurs de lis and crowns.
    Upstairs, reached by narrow circular stone steps, is a high, open room filled with blue light due to the walls being lined with tall stained glass windows. Each window depicts a story from the Bible and it would be possible to sit in this room for days studying these glass panels.
    At the end of the room above the very high wooden doors, there is a beautiful stained glass rose window. The senses are almost overwhelmed by the colours, the pictures and the emotions this room evokes in the visitor. My heart fills with happiness to have been able to share this place with Doug.
    Read more