Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    The Arc de Triomphe

    April 16, 2023 in France ⋅ ☁️ 13 °C

    When we first arrived in Paris, we stopped at the Arc de Triomphe for photos, but today we decided to go right up to the top of the arch. We took the M6 metro from the Catacombs stop to L'etoille station which is where the Arc de Triomphe is located. Here, the metro attached to the underpass that takes pedestrians under the huge and extremely busy traffic circle that surrounds the Arc. We popped up like groundhogs right beside the foot of the Arc and joined the lineup for the security check.
    While we waited in line, we took turns visiting the eternal flame underneath the Arc that burns for the soldiers list in wars. Wreaths surrounded the flames and people were very respectful here.
    There's a very small elevator at the Arc that is reserved for pregnant women and people with health issues so they don't have to climb the 284 steps to the rooftop. Doug was so thankful for this elevator after the stairs at the Catacombs.
    From the top of the Arc, the city of Paris spread out before us like the spokes of a wagon wheel. The Champs Elysees, lined with its expensive shops such as Luis Vuitton and Christian Dior, stretched all the way down to the Place de la Concorde.
    What a view!
    Read more