Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Sanctuary of Notre Dame de Lourdes

    April 22, 2023 in France ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    After a day of traveling on the bus, we arrived in the town of Lourdes which is only about 15,000 in population. This is considered a Holy Sanctuary because a 14 year old girl, named Bernadette, saw a series of apparitions in a cave in 1858, that told her that the apparition was the immaculate conception. The girl dug in the ground of the cave as directed by the apparition and water started flowing in a spring that has never gone dry since.
    Three Basilicas have been built here and the largest and newest one holds 25,000 people and is built underground. The other two stand in a square with religious mosaics, tall steeples and a crowned dome marking their importance.
    Walking past the Basilicas, we found the famous cave or grotto with a tower of candles in front. Crossing the river by bridge brought us to a series of huts that were called the chambers of light. Here, the faithful can buy candles and light them in the chambers as prayers for loved ones. Hundreds of candles flickered and sputtered under the large fume hoods.
    This place feels very powerful and spiritual. I'm so glad we came here.
    Read more