Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Mass in the Crypt, Baths and Grotto

    April 23, 2023 in France ⋅ ☁️ 9 °C

    This morning we got up at 6:15 am so we could be at the 7:00 am mass in the crypt. This chapel was quite small and we were worried about getting a seat, so we arrived half an hour early, and found only one other person there!
    Slowly the chapel filled until there were about 40 people in total and then we experienced a French mass led by two priests in white robes. It has been many years since I've been at a church service with Doug and this was a nice experience for me.
    We left the crypt as the sun rose behind the crowned dome supporting a large cross. The birds were singing and it seemed that "morning has broken" just like in one of my favorite songs.
    We lined up by the Lourdes Baths, because it can take hours to enter this part of the sanctuary. We even beat the volunteers there, only to be advised that the Baths are never busy on Sunday mornings because everyone goes to the international service first. But our waiting paid off as ourselves and 2 other couples from our tour were the first ones brought in for this ceremony. This used to mean that the person disrobed and was completely immersed in the Lourdes spring water that has produced miracles for some. But, due to the pandemic, this procedure has stopped.
    Doug and I were allowed to enter the chamber together, where a stone "bathtub" stood in front of us which is where immersion used to happen. Instead, we stood with a volunteer on each side and were led through a ritual. Our volunteer guide told us that Mary had instructed Bernadette to use the spring water to wash her hands, and then she poured water from the grotto spring into our hands and we washed them.
    Next, the volunteer told us that Mary had told Bernadette to wash her face and water was again poured into our hands and we washed our faces.
    Finally, the volunteer said that Mary told Bernadette to drink the spring water and she poured more water into our hands and we drank the Holy water.
    Our Bath was completed by prayers led by the volunteer. I think it might have been "Holy mother of God", but I don't know the words to this Catholic prayer so I listened quietly.
    The whole procedure was beautiful, and meaningful and caring. It invoked deep feelings in me that brought tears to my eyes and I am glad to have shared this moment with Doug.
    As we left the Baths, a service was just finishing at the Grotto, so we got in to see the place where the spring now runs and the place where the apparition of Mary appeared.
    Read more