Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Lourdes, Candlelight procession

    April 22, 2023 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    At 9:00 pm every night, a candlelight procession is held in Lourdes. People start gathering in groups and form a long line, each holding a candle with a plastic or paper cover to shield the flame. We had purchased our candles near our hotel for 50 euros cents each.
    When the procession is ready to start, everyone lights their candles from others in the lineup, sharing with each other. From an eagle's perspective, it must look like a tiny flame at first that spreads and spreads until thousands of flickering flames make a glowing light moving and swaying in the night.
    As the procession follows the image of Mary down a road that winds around like a "U,", and ending up in the square in front of the Basilica, voices are broadcast in many different languages reciting prayers and singing songs. Each time "Ave Maria" is sung, the crowd joins in the chorus while lifting their candles to the sky in a powerful, unified demonstration of faith.
    Finally Mary is taken inside the church and gradually the crowd blows out their candles and heads home for the night. Doug and I walked home quietly, each reflecting on this very personal experience.
    Read more