Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Chambord Chateau

    April 26, 2023 in France ⋅ ☁️ 8 °C

    Chambord Chateau, the largest Chateau in the Loire Valley, was a hunting lodge of King Francis I. It is definitely masculine as it is sturdy and practical, with its decor leaning towards hunting motifs and stag heads mounted on walls.
    Apparently Francis I wanted to be the King of all Europe and built this Chateau in deference to the title and power he'd have once he was voted in. But there was fear of giving any one monarch complete power, so he failed to get the votes necessary. At least he got the fancy hunting lodge!
    Unlike the Chateau from yesterday, this one did not fare well during the Reign of Terror and many of its rooms were empty. But the rooms that were furnished, were lavish and we saw that the King's bedroom came with two beds. The larger, fancier one was for his Highness, while his manservant had a smaller bed in the corner of the room. I guess you never know when you might need some assistance during the night...
    This Chateau had sweeping stone staircases that took us right up to the roof where we looked out on the gardens and lands of the castle. A shepherd and his dog rounded up a herd of sheep down below just as sheep have been herded here for centuries.
    A lot of restoration is underway at this Chateau, so scaffolding was present on almost every tower, but we enjoyed our quick visit there anyway.
    Read more