Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Adventures Part 2 - Find Your Way

    June 10, 2022 in Ireland ⋅ ☀️ 57 °F

    After a smooth transition to Shannon Airport, we drove off in an Audi, because they had nothing else to give us! Oh well! It’s very nice but somewhat unique in some of its controls. Certainly takes some getting used to. Oh, and about getting used to things? Eileen starting driving and did fairly well with the left sided driving thing, entering roundabouts. Larry only had the occasional near death experience with a stone wall or two. All was pretty good until we got to our destination for the next 4 days, the town of Dungarvan on the southern coast of the Celtic Sea. What a spectacular gem! It was recommended to us several years ago as a lovely town and great touring spot. HOWEVER, the streets are narrow and we arrived in the middle of the day and we had trouble finding our hotel. Said a few prayers, took a break by the water before plunging back into the street. With some direction from the hotel (Larry actually walked a block to it - we could see it but couldn’t get there!), we found the car park (parking lot). The hotel is restored, very quaint. Met the owner when we checked in. He was delighted that someone had recommended it to us (a travel agent - pre Covid. Thanks Becky) and asked about our home in US. This town reminds us a little of Annapolis. Harbor town. Sailing club. Lots of pubs and restaurants. Lively town center. Then he informs us that we are very lucky to be visiting this weekend - it’s the West Waterford Festival of Food! If you know Larry, you know he was quite pleased. Town will be closed to traffic (yeah) and tents and vendors and food samples galore.
    Spent the afternoon exploring. Toured the Dungarvan Castle (seems every area has one!), visited a few pubs and continue the challenge for best seafood chowder. Seems it is a staple on every menu everywhere you go, from pubs to fancy places, served with brown bread. A contender for best so far was at The Local - a tiny hole in the wall pub with fabulous staff. Larry plans to continue his quest throughout the next few weeks! Side note - we both have recovered from our GI issues and thankful that a pint tastes good! Hoping our driver has stayed well.
    Finished our evening at the hotel pub, some music. Still struggling with the sunset not happening until after 10pm! The last picture was added to highlight another reason this country is wonderful! - please note choice of cream, ice cream or custard with all desserts. What?? That will be happening tomorrow - too full to enjoy it tonight.
    Read more