Satellite
  • Day 4

    London

    August 20, 2017 in England ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    2 seven hours flights later and we arrived in London on Sunday morning. The second one was streets ahead of the first, makes a difference having the exit seats. I'm a Qantas fan after this trip, we sat opposite a lovely air hostess who gave us some tips on where to get a good lunch, the easiest way to pay for the underground, and some sights to go see. Unfortunately she couldn't get us through immigration any quicker and we had to take our turn with a thousand of our fellow travellers. I'm so glad we don't have to see another airport now for seven weeks.

    We found the underground and our hotel without much trouble and got rid of the luggage. We don't really have too much when you see what some other people drag around, must make it hard for them, but I was glad to dump it.

    We took the underground back to Paddington where our friendly hostie had told us about a lovely local pub to have Sunday lunch at. The Duke of Kendal, It wasn't far from the station and the Sunday roast was just as good as she promised. Had a chat to the publicans Grandad who was a shoemaker and made all the ballet shoes for the Royal ballet. Plus a couple of pairs for Princess Diana.

    We were trying to figure out how to get to Big Ben and in the end hopped on the tour bus for a while, nice way to get around and see most of the sites and have a bit of a sit down at the same time. Eventually we got off at the Tower of London. Amazing place was so much history, went on a tour with one of the beefeaters, well worth it. Then a river cruise back down to Westminster just in time to hear Big Ben ring for five o'clock. He's being turned off for four years for maintenance so we were lucky to hear him today.

    Graham really wanted to see St Pauls so back on the hop on hop off bus to get there. They were just about to have evening service when we arrived and we stayed for that. It was lovely, never thought I would go to a service in St Pauls let along take communion.
    Read more