Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    Ring of Kerry

    September 12, 2017 in Ireland ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    The plan today is to drive the Ring of Kerry, we already did 20 or so klms of it before we got to Kenmare last night so at least we have a head start.

    The day is not looking too bright. First stop was the Staigue Stone Fort, up this little skinny track for about 4 klms, buses can't go in here so that's a bonus. It was amazing, 2500 years old and all the walls and some of the rooms are still intact. Big enough to house the chieftain and his family and probably most of their village. There were steps built into the walls and you could climb up to the top, pretty spectacular views they would have had, it was a tad nerve racking on the highest one!

    Lots of pretty views as you drive along, nice little harbours and a wood turner we called in to see, where Graham scored some wood to take home. Unfortunately about lunch time the rain came in and never really stopped, it was pretty much a white out for the rest of the afternoon. We did see a few of the views between showers, and one spot where the rain stopped for a bit with a gorgeous rainbow. I was so glad we'd seen a bit the day before and got to the Stone Fort before the weather really set in.

    We gave up then and headed for Dingle. It rained the whole way so I'm not expecting the Dingle Peninsula to be too marvellous either. It is a cool little town though with lots of pubs, restaurants and music. And windy, we went for a walk before dinner and nearly got bowled over. Holy Moly talk about the Wild Atlantic Way!

    Another great feed and then we wandered around and listened to a few sessions and one group who we thought were going to be wonderful, had a big crowd and took forever to get themselves organised! They were deadly boring, so we headed back to the pub we'd had dinner at were there was a couple of guys playing and singing. An Irish dancer came out and joined them for a few songs, he sure could move. It was great fun and very entertaining!
    Read more