Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Kilkenny to Kenmare

    September 11, 2017 in Ireland ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    Started off the day with a walk up to the Castle. A couple of the super are were still there this morning, including some dude who had locked his clothes in the boot somehow so was wandering around in his undies and bathrobe. Must have been freezing it was only about 8 degrees.

    We were just going to look at the outside of the castle and the gardens but it was so impressive we went in. It was handed over to whatever the national trust version is in Ireland in the 1960's and they have spent a lot of time and money restoring it, beautiful job they've done too.

    We're heading over towards the a West Coast this afternoon, about a two hour drive. Got the Navman set on smaller roads so we had a pleasant drive through hills, farmland and the Killarney National Park. I read somewhere it is better to start the Ring of Kerry from Kenmare, so we saw the first 20 or so klms of it this afternoon. Nice drive through the National park with waterfalls and gorgeous views. Even had someone playing the bagpipes out in the hill. His fingers must have nearly fallen off with the cold, but good on him!

    Kenmare is a nice little town and we found a B and B at one of the pubs to stay at. I thought England had a lot of pubs, it's got nothing on Ireland. This little town which is only about as big as Biloela has about twenty!

    We had dinner around the corner and listened to some guys with a mandolin and violin for a while and then back to our pub for an awesome night with Cormac singing all our favourites!
    Read more