Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 33

    The Wet Coast

    September 18, 2017 in Ireland ⋅ 🌙 10 °C

    Heading up the west coast. Got a few stops planned. It's not looking like the best of days really. It's windy, raining and cold.

    We stopped at Mullaghmore Head. Some of the best surfers in the world come here to surf the enormous way they get when the tide runs out. Not today though, there are no waves at all. Pretty place though and very quite and laid back.

    Next stop is the Glencliff Horseshoe Drive. Only about ten klms around the rim of what looks like an old crater. It was a nice drive, don't know that I would rate it as a major attraction. Would have helped if it wasn't raining too I guess.

    We drove on to Donegal after that, it's still raining and we were drenched looking for a room. Found one above one of the pubs. 167 steps as usual, but lovely room. Now what to do out of the rain. Donegal has a castle so it wins. It's a nice one too, was neglected for about three hundred years, but is being slowly restored by the Irish Heritage Society. Fantastic job they have done so far.

    Called into the Reel Inn for a drink. There were four old guys in there and they cracked us up for an hour or so. God there were f bombs going off left right and centre. And the young barman who they all gave a hard time, he seemed to be used to them, so I'd say they spend a bit of time there.

    Another great night of music at McCawley's I think it was called.
    Read more