Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 50

    Roskilde

    October 5, 2017 in Denmark ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    The girls had another great day planned for us. We are off to see the cathedral in Roskilde , and then to see the Viking Museum. But first we have to get Millie off to day care and have a delicious bacon and egg breakfast.

    The Roskilde Cathedral is a very important church for the danish people. 20 kings and 18 queens are buried here. As well as Harold Bluetooth who the Danish designer took the name for the now famous Bluetooth! It looks very modest from the outside, but on the inside there are lots of alcoves coming off the main part of the church. The architecture and decorations are amazing. So much history for the danish people. The present queen has designed her own crypt ready for her funeral, with stone from the Faroe Islands and Greenland. Its a bit of a question at the moment whether her prince will be buried with her or not.

    The girls were fascinated and we had a lovely time reading about all the kings and queens of Denmark. Erik even managed to keep himself under control this time as well although there was just as much gold in this church. Luckily the church closes for lunch at one o'clock or we might still have been there.

    There are some pretty buildings in the area around the Cathedral and we found a nice cafe there for lunch.

    After lunch we were off to the Viking ship museum. They found five Viking ships in the harbour here in the sixties and have reconstructed them like a big jigsaw. All five boat have also been replicated and are anchored in their little harbour! They are on display at the museum along with lots of other relics found in the area.

    There is a rope display where they show you how all the ropes were made, a carving section and a boatbuilding area where they are still making Viking ships there today and Graham tried his hand at carving. Think he's missing the shed!

    I
    Read more