Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 54

    Sunny Day Touring

    October 9, 2017 in Denmark ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Goodness we are being looked after well in Denmark. Another delicious breakfast and then a trip to Henning's brother in laws place to see their Windmill. Sounds like an odd thing to do but Karson owns a share of this windmill and was going to take us up to the top for a look.

    Graham and I climbed into the little lift and Henning, Karson and Johanna's climbed the hundreds of steps up the ladder. We felt really bad especially for Johanna's, she doesn't like heights and it was such a long way.

    It was absolutely amazing! Karson opened the hatch on the top and we could stand up there and watched the blades spinning around. It was such a beautiful day we could see for miles. Then there was a hatch in the floor and he opened that, yeah I didn't like that one so much. 100 or something meters straight down yikes!

    We'd passed a dairy the day before, Jonas told us belonged to his Aunt and Uncle and was fully automatic. We wanted to have a look so they rang them up and off we went for a tour of the dairy. The cows come in, get washed, feed, then milked, washed again and then are let out for the next one. All the data goes on the computer to see how much milk each cow is producing, how many times they are being milked, how much feed they are eating. Incredibly efficient!

    Henning and Randy came for a trip over to the Thy National Park with us, it's on the coast and is all grass and heather covered dunes down to the ocean. Beautiful! We spent a few hours there, walked on the beach, had some lunch, watched the surfers.

    The kids had been listening to our music so driving back to Silkeborg that evening, Johanna and Jonas gave us an education in Danish music. We couldn't understand most of it but catchy tunes and they had a great singalong. Keep us all amused on the way home.
    Read more