Satellite
  • Day 11

    Magome to Tsumago walk

    May 17, 2019 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Walking across Magome pass between these two post towns. Some of it on the original paved roads they used in the Edo period. We had another coffee at Keiko’s sons shop before we left and talked to a young Australian guy who walked across yesterday but in the opposite direction, big mistake apparently.

    The first Thirty or forty minutes is a bit steep in places and while it was a bit cool this morning we soon worked up a sweat. Most people come to this ares to see these two lovely restored towns and to do this hike so we except to have a lot of fellows travellers. They is a few around us but mostly everyone spreads out very quickly.

    Cedar forest, bamboo groves, waterfalls, cobbled pathways, little villages, lovely gardens and of course temples and shrines. About half way across we came to a resthouse staffed by volunteers where you serve you tea and lollies to keep you energised for the rest of the trip. It is an original two hundred year old farmhouse.

    It is a very picturesque, fairly easy walk, although we did meet quite a few people going the other way and they looked like they were suffering. Thank goodness for some research beforehand.

    Tsumago is a nice little village too, much quieter and more residential. We had some soba noodles for lunch, picked up our bags from the tourist information and missed our train by 1 minute. 🥴
    Read more