Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Sukurajima Island.

    May 23, 2023 in Japan ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    Today is shaping up to be much better weather wise. We are going for a day trip to Sukurajima island where the volcano is. The ferry goes every 15 minutes and they are big ferries so we’re assuming this island gets a lot of traffic.

    Kogashima is a little harder to get around, well at least from our hotel so we are taxiing it while here. The drivers are funny, they always wait to make sure your going in the right direction when you get out, and they are so worried when you don’t and so pleased when you do.

    It’s only a 15 min ride over to the island, we visited the footpath, visitors centre which had a nice exhibition on volcanos, got a day ticket for the island bus, got on and off a few times at observation points and then at a nice little restaurant for lunch.
    It’s a shame we don’t still have the car, it would have been great here, the bus only does a small section of the island and there look to be some interesting places you can only get to with a car.
    Well we came to see the volcano and we certainly got some spectacular views of it today.

    Heading back onto the ferry after lunch and yes we can see why they need so many. So many cars and tourist buses lining up waiting to get on. Once again I’m glad we head out early to sightsee the afternoon are always so much busier.
    Read more