Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Victoria Falls

    June 8, 2023 in Zimbabwe ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    We’ve had an amazing day today. First up was a visit from a Troop of Monkeys at Sunrise. Must have been about fifty of them jumping all around the trees above our tents. They are pretty quick and loud when they jump on the roof. So entertaining watching them.

    First off today we’re going to breakfast at the Lookout Cafe. A gorgeous cafe that overlooks Zambezi River. There has been quite a lot of rain upstream and the river is in full flow. This is adrenaline central here. They have zip lines, bungee jumping, flying foxes. Just what you need after a big breakfast.

    Then on to a tour of the falls. You can see the mist from the falls for miles. The Smoke that Thunders the locals call it. You get wet doing this tour so we all got raincoats from one of the stalls. I noticed the guide changing his shoes before we left. It didn’t take long to see why. The mist is incredible, it goes from a light mist to heavy rain and I mean really heavy rain. Wish we’d got the memo to change shoes. We were all pretty soaked by the time we finished.

    The Falls are incredible, quite hypnotic to watch, they span almost 2 klms and the amount of water coming over them every second is phenomenal. There are a lot of vantage points to see them and you have to take your changes when the mist clears but we had some amazing views between drenching.

    Back to the Lodge for a late lunch and a very short rest and then we were off on a Sundowner cruise on the Zambezi River. It’s more of a river safari and we spent a very enjoyable couple of hours looking for hippos, elephants, crocodiles, birds.
    Read more