Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Massai Mara

    June 14, 2023 in Kenya ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    What else can I say about African Safaris. Just when you think you’ve had the most amazing sightings something else incredible happens.

    Today our safari started at 6 am. Wake up call from the staff at 5.30 with a cup of coffee to our tent. Our camp is just near the river and we could hear Hippos, Lions, Wild Dogs and Baboons all night. There is no fence so the staff patrol the boundaries all night to make sure we don’t get eaten I guess.

    This morning we saw Mating Lions, Cheetahs, A big herd of Elephants, Mongoose, Jackals, Elan, Giraffes, Baboons.

    Our guide Joseph is fantastic, he is constantly scanning the area for birds and animals. Sometimes he sees them so far away they are just specks in the distant for us. When he saw the Cheetahs they were a couple of hills away and we had no idea what he’d seen until he was almost there but he was on a mission to get us there as quickly as possible. They were a hunting pair and stalking a Impala. It was a bit of a standoff for a while and we thought the Cheetahs were getting ready to go when the Impala saw them. He was off like a rocket and they just casually walked away to look for something else.

    One of the Massai villages is close by and we called in for a visit on the way back to camp. The Massai people are so welcoming and so colourful. They did some welcoming dances for us, showed us around the village and of course their little market where they make belts and jewellery. We all brought home a momento.

    Back to camp for a few hours rest and we were off on another game drive in the afternoon. More incredible sightings, Hyenas pulling a Carcass to bits, a huge Black Rhino, a Massive big Massai Giraffe. A
    Pretty sunset to finish off the day.
    Read more