Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Last day in the Serengeti

    June 25, 2023 in Tanzania ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    Today is our last game drive, and last day in the Serengeti, and we are off to hopefully find a Rhino. There is a section of the park where only two female Rhinos where left after the horrendous poaching that happened here. One more male Rhino migrated from the crater and they have slowly been building up the numbers. The rangers monitor all the Rhinos and they don’t release the numbers to anyone but our guide estimated about fifty or sixty live in this section of the park now.

    I think we found four of the big five today but sadly no Rhino. Buffalo, Elephants, an amazing group of Lions lazing about on a beach, I think there were 16 in total. Plus a Leopard on the prowl for some dinner and a Cheetah looking for a shady tree to rest in. And of course the usual assortment of Giraffes, Zebras, Impalas and Wildebeest.

    We had a few sightseeing stops today as well at Gong Rock where you could play music on different sections of the rock and another cave with some Massai Rock Art.

    There were lots of cat prints at Gong Rock and plenty of cat poop and Hyena poo lying around everywhere. Someone said to David, do you see many cats here “ oh yeah all the time” Yikes!

    Had lunch at a nice shady little picnic area near the Rhino Centre with the resident Hyrax bouncing around on the rocks.

    Back at the camp early today to pack up and get organised for the flight home tomorrow. The staff had planned a lovely private dinner for us beside the fire. It was a perfect last night in the bush for us, cocktails, lovely sunset, great food, good company and a send off song and dance from the staff.
    Read more