Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Into Normandy, cars, cider, amd cheese.

    April 25 in France ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    Picked up our hire car this morning from Orly airport. Peak hour getting there so the train was absolutely packed. They had a strike at the airport so lots of people there trying to hire a car. Eek hope that doesn’t happen when we have to fly to Athens.

    Talk about being thrown into the deep end, driving on the wrong side of the road is bad enough without the stress of so much traffic. We finally got far enough away from Paris for the traffic to settle down a bit and to start looking for somewhere to eat. It was surprisingly hard to find somewhere. We ended up stopping at a road side cafeteria whose special of the day was Fillet Mignon. Ha ha only in France.

    We upgraded the car to a Mercedes Benz Compact, a snazzy little thing with lots of bells and whistles. Well after driving for a couple of hours it started doing a few odd things. Felt like the brakes were locking on for a few seconds. After that happened a few times we rang the service department and arranged to go into Caen and have it looked at.

    Our accomodation is a tiny cute little cottage about three kilometres from the village of Vimoutiers. Horses and cows in the paddock a few chooks and a pig who seems to think we should feed him. Gorgeous views across the valley to Camembert!

    We’re meeting some old friends for dinner. They just happen to be crossing France at the same time as us. It was so lovely to catch up with them.
    Read more