Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 44

    Casa da Fernanda

    May 16, 2021 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    This is Casa da Fernanda a small oasus on this part of the camino. Fernanda used to work at the Post office when she decided together with her wonderful husband Jacinto to build a wooden house at the edge of their property to house pilgrims. Since then she has become a legend welcoming total strangers with a huge heart, day-by-day, year-by-year.
    I arrived quite early and promptly had coffee and cake served. We sat in the garden talking about fear and what it does to people, about pilgrims with one leg who stayed here and about her 5 dogs, 4 cats, 15 chickens, turkey and the two pigs who unfortunately died because they got too fat. My animals are my friends, I don't eat them she said!
    In the evening they tabled up a dinner for Kings where I thought the starters were the full dinner, and then suddenly the real thing was served accompanied by their own wine, Porto, and finally a grappa that just blew me away. All of this accompanied by 7 people all talking at the same time in numerous languages.
    People like Fernanda and Jacinto are incredible. Standing fully in life with both legs and dedicating them selves to helping others.
    Read more