Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 142

    Anecdotes

    November 30, 2022 in Iraq ⋅ 🌧 10 °C

    Incredible Friendliness:
    Throughout our stay in Iran, it is the friendliness of the Iranians that has burnt a way into our hearts. First of all، it is their absolute joy that we are here and that they can meet us resulting in them waving to us as we drive past، cheering "welcome to Iran"، cars hoot، people lean out of their windows to photograph us. If we are parked، within minutes 10 people around our car، cheering، asking questions and photographing. When we are outside the car they want a photo with us and very often have gone to great lengths to invite us to their homes.
    They are hungry to try out their english or German and feel very connected to Germany often referring to a relative who lives there.
    The other side of this is that you never have a moment of peace, there is always someone wanting to take up contact, knocking on the car to say "welcome to Iran".
    There have been moments where we quickly closed the curtains and locked the car just to be alone.
    And yet, this great joy and friendliness are going to be missing as we enter the Arab culture. Probably we will be longing for it back.
    Read more