Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 73

    Goodbye Southland

    May 13, 2023 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 7 °C

    We said a sad goodbye to Gore as we headed into parts unknown. Gore was good to us with the new tail lights on the bike rack sorted, and Christine's bike seat and pants got sorted. We also joined the country club for better stop over places on our pilgramage. Therefore it was goodbye to brown trout and golden guitars and hello to horses, gold, and deer... on our way along the highway out of town we decided Dunedin was out (we did that 6yrs ago) and the gold country of Central Otago was in.
    Soon after hitting highway 8 we came to the help of 2 ladies way up this narrow dirt road. They we trying to call the police as two pig dogs had a beautuful but fearful doe backed up in a corner of a paddock by the road. I was off to the rescue with my awning pole..... shouting and whistling and waving my big stick around madly until other help arrived and called the huge savage dogs off.
    We then continued driving along the narrow, winding, hilly clay road in the wilderness until reaching the back side of Gabriel's Gully.. where vast quantities of gold was found.
    Needless to say that this morning, being Mothers Day, Christine, and I will be off up some tiny reach to find our very own pot of the yellow stuff or a huge nugget or two... our travels continue!!
    Read more