Satellite
  • Day 29

    Day 29 - Mont Ventoux, 40 miles

    May 14, 2016 in France ⋅ 🌬 19 °C

    Wow what a day in the saddle in some of the most beautiful and testing conditions I've ever riden in.

    Climbs do not come much more famous than Mont Ventoux and a ride I had marked very early on when planning this trip. At 1911 meters and as previously mentioned it is considerably higher than anything else around and despite blue sky everywhere the top was still covered in cloud so as I left Bedoin on the route made famous by the Tour de France I had fingers crossed it would be clear by the time I got to the top.

    After Bedoin and a couple of miles steadily climbing through the vineyards of Provence you take a sharp left and head up into the forest. This is the steepest section of the ride and real granny gear riding. I'd left early but the road was still busy with cyclists and as I climbed on my heavy aluminium Cyclo-cross bike with a pannier full of ham and cheese baguettes and in my board shorts and t-shirt I gave a smug bonjour to each lycra clad carbon riding cyclist I overtook. Sadly most of them had been riding for more years than I'd had hot dinners and it was not long before the young club riders were giving me a smug bonjour as they passed although I did get a few nods of admiration.

    The end of the forest and the tree line you are greeted by Le Chalet Reynard a cafe marking the start of the final third. It would normally be easier from here but now out of the shelter of the forests were hit by the predicted strong winds. With them coming straight over the top in was going to be a tough last few miles. The bonus out of the forest was the view across the valley which is simply stunning.

    It wasn't until the last couple of miles that I reached the cloud cover and wow what a change in temperature and weather. The wind was now gale force and tough to stay on the bike. Making friends with a Dutch rider we stayed together the last couple of miles just trying to keep enough forward movement into the wind not to fall over. The final sharp right turn a few meters short of the summit and a huge gust did me and the Dutchman and only a quick clip out and foot down saved both of us. We then saw about 20 other cyclists all watching who been watching it happened to every cyclist coming up with a few not clipping out quick enough apparently.

    With the summit reached and a chill factor of -3 I didn't hang around the top long. The descent especially the first 2 miles in the cloud was freezing and one of the scariest things I've ever done. With everyone averaging about 10mph and one foot down to balance against the wind I was relieved to clear the clouds and at least be able to see further than 30 yards. The wind was still very strong which unfortunately meant no full head down descending but still great fun even if very scary.

    After a hot chocolate in the cafe to try and get feeling back in my fingers and bones it was quick descent through the forest to pick my gear up from the hotel and on another 15 miles to Saint Didier where Im staying tonight. This is real 'A Good Year' (if you've seen the film) scenery with vineyards and small villages for as far as you can see.

    After a great dinner and a few drinks with some Belgium cyclists it's time for bed after a magically box ticking day.
    Read more